I’m not sewing much these days – bordering on nothing, in truth. This is turning out to be a particularly demanding year at work, so mostly I just collapse on the couch and fall asleep early! That’s ok though, and I’m not going to apologise for blogging rarely… because we are all busy, right?🙂
Since I don’t have anything new to show you, I thought I’d post about some random stuff I’ve been considering lately…
1. Sweater Knits: Why aren’t they sold more widely, and why is the quality so often poor? My Fabricland doesn’t carry sweater knits at all, except strange glittery ones in the remnant bins. I gave in and ordered some online from Fashion Fabrics Club, and they arrived today… and while they are workable, not one is what I expected from reading the descriptions! What’s the secret, people? Is there any way to buy medium-weight sweater knits online and reply on the quality without paying $20/m?
Here are my purchases: The pink and colbalt are quite thin, the turquoise is more like a velour/fleece, and the double-faced black and grey is fleece-ish too. But at least I stuck to my colour palette, right?😉
2. Ponte: What is it best for? I also bought a bunch of floral ponte, and picked up some plaid ponte locally… but then I realise, “What am I going to do with it?” It’s a bit too stable for a sweatshirt style… I didn’t love the lack of drape on my recent plaid ponte shift dress… so would I be better off with more fitted Lady Skater-esque style? Or would there not be enough stretch? I’m open to suggestions!
My floral pontes… and one floral sweater knit in the top right, which I’ll use for a scarf.
3. Colette Dahlia: How can I imitate it? There are some aspects of the design I like, but it seems to need a lot of fitting work… and since I’d like to make a knit version, there really seems no point in starting with the actual pattern. Also, I remember the nightmare of taping Myrtle all too well! I like the wide waistband, and gathering below the bust and at the centre of the neckline (Although I keep wondering if it’s weird to have gathering in all three places on just one bodice…) Do you think I should start with my Jalie raglan top TNT, or go for a classic sleeve design like Nettie?
Here’s the ponte I bought locally… I’d like to make a cosy Dahlia-ish Christmas dress!
4. Remember Hallowe’en? Here’s the last thing I sewed myself: an “Elephant” dress, based on Mo Willems’ Elephant and Piggie series. It’s an Olivia Oversized Tee, made extra oversized and worn with some bamboo leggings I never blogged!
5. I won a Gillian dress pattern! A big huge thank you to Andie at Sew Pretty in Pink! She made a fab version of her own, and put 2 versions up for grabs… and I won one! I haven’t had time to work on it yet, but I do feel pretty wrapped in Sewcialist bliss when I consider sewing up an indie with my name on it! (I’m not the Gillian who is the inspiration, but I can ignore that! I’m just thanking my lucky stars “Gillian” is a knit dress pattern, and not a fancy coat I’d never sew!😉 Thanks again, Andie!
That’s all for now – thanks for reading my ramblings!
To recap: Where’s the good sweater knit? What sews up well in ponte? And what pattern should I use as a base to imitate Dahlia?