I sure didn’t!
Let me back up a minute. It all started when my husband mentioned last month that he’d ordered some comics from the UK that turned out to have MUCH cheaper shipping than buying from America. My ears perked up, because when I order from the States, shipping is often almost the same price as the fabric itself! So I did some poking around online.. and lo and behold, he was (at least partially) right!
From what I can tell, shipping from the UK to Canada is either comparable or cheaper than shipping from the US. For example, 5m of jersey and denim from Sew Over It in London gives me a shipping charge of £15.00/$19USD, while similar fabric from Cali Fabric in the the USA would cost $28USD to ship.
But here’s what’s exciting: Minerva Crafts has flat rate international shipping, which I’ve never seen before. NEVER! And it’s only £5.99! As far as I can tell, they’ll ship anywhere for that price! I know there are lots of places in the US and UK that will ship for free within national boundaries for a very low minimum order, but the rest of us have always had to pay big bucks for shipping, even when we shop “locally” online. (Or sometimes free shipping for a much larger order.)
Of course, I had to try it out! I’ve been vaguely aware of Minerva Crafts because of their blogger network, but never really paid attention to what they sell. From my one shopping experience, I’d say it’s discount-to-medium price, with discount-to-medium quality. I didn’t come across any high-end luxe fabrics, but there were plenty of deals and most of my fabric turned out to be good for the price.
Here’s what I bought:
- Black-and-white gingham jersey: rayon knit, on the thin side of medium weight, nice drape, medium scale print
- Red-and-black gingham jersey: rayon jersey, print is a little cakey so it cracks when overstretched… thinish medium weight with nice drape
- Bright floral ITY: standard ITY polyester knit, in a nice tropical print
- Plaid-and-floral scuba: The only dud. This scuba is stiff and scratchy, unline any scuba I’ve used before. Not sure if I’ll ever sew something from this.
The whole order came to £39+£5.99 shipping, which is $76CAD. For that price, I got 10M of jersey, so $7/m… not bad! That’s about the on-sale price of what I can get locally.
I would love to know a few things:
- Have you ordered from Minerva? What’s your experience been? (In case it’s not clear, this is not a sponsored post in any way, so be honest!)
- Are there any other places with cheap international shipping that I should be checking out?